Vanderbijl Park: Early Fifties

At the Hendrik Vanderbijl Primary School (1951-1954)

When I first went to this school I was put into Standard 2 although I was much younger than everyone else in that class. Some of the older girls in the class made a pet of me and I particularly remember Joy Daniels and Violet Young being very kind and protective because I was the baby of the class. Although I could cope with most subjects at that level, I had never learnt Afrikaans before. I remember remaining in the classroom during break to try to complete the Afrikaans written work while all the other children were outside eating their sandwiches and playing, having finished copying work from the board long before the bell rang for break. After that it was decided that I’d be better to go back to Standard 1 where the children were more or less the same age as me and where I would be able to learn Afrikaans from scratch along with everyone else. The school was parallel-medium, which meant that, although each pupil was either in an English or Afrikaans class, we addressed each other in English one week and the next week in Afrikaans. The assembly worked in the same way – one week in English, one week in Afrikaans. Bare-headed we stood outside in the hot sun for assembly each morning and I, along with others, were sometimes near fainting. My Afrikaans progressed quite well at the Hendrik Vanderbijl School. When we moved to Johannesburg towards the end of 1957 I never met many Afrikaans people and if I addressed anyone in that language they often replied in English as I probably spoke the language with a tinge of a Scottish accent. That was not the way to become fluent in Afrikaans. It is a shame that the Nats decided that it was just as dangerous in their eyes for English and Afrikaans children to mix, as it was for the different races to mix in case we became friends and undermined their apartheid policy.

Vanderbijlpark was laid out rather like a mining town with areas for “blue collar” workers, “non-European” workers and a more upmarket area for management and executive staff. This last group lived in the affluent area of SW5 nearer to the Vaal River. I believe the suburb was known as Nobhill or “down the river” by those who lived in the main – and plainer – part of the town as we did.

Many of the children in my class were from “down the river” and some were inclined to look down their noses at the rest of us. There were two children of the founding fathers of the town in my class: Helen Oldridge, daughter of Cecil Oldridge who had a park named after him, and Noreen Waterston. I’m afraid I can’t remember what her father’s claim to fame was, but he was a man of some importance. Helen and I shared the same date of birth – 31st August 1943 – but, despite this, we were never particularly friendly with one another.

There was an impression amongst South Africans that the recent immigrants were riff-raff in comparison with those born in South Africa, so although this was not true in most cases, the immigrants tended to stick together. Most of us lost our British accents in favour of a South African one, although those who put on a South African accent at school usually dropped it as soon as they arrived home and reverted to their old Scottish, Welsh, Irish or English accents when they were with their parents and siblings. I spoke the same way all the time, but even to this day, sixty years later, I can easily lapse into my Scottish accent. This is not mimicry – it is an accent in which I feel perfectly at home. My accent today is not particularly South African, but probably a hybrid of Scottish and South African, still different from everyone else after all these years of living in the country.

Marion Hillan, me, Rene Marshall in the early 1950s.

Most of my friends in Parsons Street were Scottish  – Irene and Madeleine Young, Harvey Pye, June and Rene Marshall, and Marion Hillan. There was open veld behind Parsons Street and we climbed the pine trees there, formed secret societies a la Enid Blyton and the Secret Seven and Famous Five. Initially it was great fun making badges for all the members and thinking of suitable passwords, but once that was done, unlike the characters in Enid Blyton’s books, we had no mysteries to solve, so all our societies tended to be rather short-lived. I remember the day when someone in our class did something naughty. The culprit did not own up so the headmaster of the school,  Mr A.S. Nel, lined the whole class up around his office and went round with a cane, smacking each child hard, both girls and boys, several times on the flat of our hands. I still remember the sound of Mr Nel’s cane whistling through the air as he caned each child.  I walked home from school with a Scottish girl from another class who took great delight in telling my parents that I had been “caned” at school that morning. I had done nothing wrong, but had to listen to further recriminations from my parents after the unpleasant time I had already endured.

Mrs McFadjean, our Standard 1 teacher was kind and gentle, but the teachers we had in Standards 2 and 3, Mrs Hicks and Mrs Erasmus, were very strict in comparison. In Standard 2 we began using dipping pens instead of pencils. We dipped our pens into the inkwells on our desks. The school made up the ink and it often contained lumps which could easily cause blots. I was left-handed, so I had to be extra careful not to blot my copy book by smearing my hand over the wet ink as I wrote. I was told that Mrs Hicks lost her temper if ever she saw a blot – trust me to make one! I had nightmares about her checking my work and having a fit when she saw it. I was also told that there was no point of trying to rub the blot out. Mrs Hicks would spot this right away and be crosser than ever. I’m afraid I tried to rub out the blot and only succeeded in making a slight hole in the paper. What would she say? I could not bear to think of my punishment. I took up my work to be marked and stood trembling next to her waiting for the explosion when she discovered the blot. Amazingly she didn’t even notice it!  A huge weight had been lifted off my shoulders and I could breathe easily again.

We had another fierce woman who took us for sewing classes. Her name was Mrs Verhoop from Germany. Once again I struggled at sewing because of my left-handedness. She was absolutely horrible to me to the point that I would pretend to have caught a cold on the day we were to have the sewing lesson and put on a deep cough to attract my parents’ attention so that they would tell me to stay in bed. Rarely did this happen. I remember Mrs Verhoop examining my sewing efforts in front of another teacher and saying scathingly that I should be sent for an eye test as my sewing was so far below the standard of the other girls in the class, and the second teacher agreeing with her while I did all I could not to burst into tears in front of them. I was about nine at the time.

Standard 2. I am seated in the front row on the left

Standard 2. I am kneeling in the front row on the left

We had a weekly Volkspele (folk dancing) class, where we were taught to dance to the accompaniment of Afrikaans folk tunes. We were aged about eight or nine when boys and girls were not inclined to mix with one another out of choice, so it was agony to dance around the room with an unwilling partner who would have preferred to be doing anything but dancing clumsily with a girl! We also practised for a mass gym display, which was to take place at some national event. Perhaps I wasn’t good enough at these exercises, but I didn’t take part in this display despite the months of practice.  I realise now that this gym display and the Volkspele classes were reminiscent of events which might have taken place in Nazi Germany before the war.

Hendrik Van der Bijl group display

Standard 3 to Standard 5 girls in group exercise.

Standar 3 class, Hendrik VanderBijl Primary School, 1953.

Standard 3 class, Hendrik Van der Bijl Primary School, 1953.

Every year the school held an elaborate school concert, but no auditions were ever held to select performers. Teachers selected children to take part and none of the others (myself included) were ever given the chance to take part in it.

There were shops round the corner from Parsons Street and the biggest one was called the Publix. I believe it is the site of the local Spar today. The shopping centre also boasted a post office and a dairy, where I often bought penny bars of Van Houten’s chocolate on the way home from school. I was also partial to an ice lolly if the weather was hot and, as far as I remember, these could be purchased from a man who rang a little bell and cycled around on a large tricycle with an icebox attached to it, containing ice creams and iced lollies.

There was no cinema in Vanderbijl at that time  so we used to go into the neighbouring town of  Vereeniging every Saturday morning, do some shopping, have lunch in a café and then go to a matinee at either the Odeon or the Metro, depending which cinema was showing the most entertaining film. In those days cinemas in South Africa were known as the bioscope! In Vanderbijl we sometimes went to the Iscor Recreational Club where my parents would have a couple of drinks with their friends, while I had a Rose’s lime juice and listened to their grownup conversation. Nearly everyone smoked, so the atmosphere of the club must have been thick with stale tobacco, which didn’t seem to worry me then, but certainly would now.

Several years later they opened the Astor cinema (later called the 20th Century) in Vanderbijlpark and by that time I was old enough to go to the children’s morning matinee. I had 2/- pocket money a week so I paid about 1/3 for my ticket and still had 9d over to buy sweets or ice cream at the interval. All the naughty boys sat in the front rows and made a noise throughout the cartoons, serial and “big” picture, which was usually a musical like Naughty Marietta, with Jeanette MacDonald singing impossibly high notes, or a cowboy film, starring Gene Autrey or Roy Rogers. A stern usherette, wearing a military type uniform, patrolled the cinema shining her torch at those making the most noise and warning them that they would be ejected if they didn’t keep quiet. At interval she sold sweets and ice cream from a tray hanging round her neck on a leather strap. The movie often broke down in the middle of the show and there were howls of disgust as we waited for the projectionist to get it going once again.

There was a café next to the cinema, probably called the Astor café, and it was there that I had my very first toasted cheese sandwich. The tables were arranged like train compartments, which could seat from four to six people and each “compartment” had a little square box attached to the wall which linked to the big jukebox standing at the end of the café. For about a tickey (3d) you could select one of the hits of the moment, such as Patti Page singing The Tennessee Waltz,  Johnny Ray singing Cry or Nat King Cole with Mona Lisa. Later on, the juke box even had early rock ‘n roll records like Heartbreak Hotel by Elvis.

We went to Church services of the Presbyterian Church. The services were held in a classroom at the Oliver Lodge Primary School until the church was built. A minister came in from Vereeniging about once a month and the accompaniment to the hymns was played by Mrs Tilsen on a small organ which had to be pumped up by hand. If the bellows were not fully inflated, the organ would go out of tune until the person designated to turn the handle sped it up again. The minister (whose name I have forgotten) was Scottish, but his accent indicated that he came from a different part of Scotland than us. I remember Mr Buttle playing a large role in these services; perhaps he was a lay minister who took the services when the Vereeniging minister was not with us.

My father bought a black 1948 Ford Prefect, which he later had re-ducoed to the more cheerful colour of Drakensberg Blue, and did a driving licence test for the first time in his life. He had bought his first car in Canada in the late 1920’s when it was not necessary to take a driving test. Someone showed him the basics of working the clutch, brake and gears and he had driven off with his purchase, hoping that he could handle the car on the open road. Luckily he passed the South African driving test without any problem. He was one of the few immigrant families in Vanderbijl to own a car at that time and was often called upon to give lifts to his friends.

David and Jean Campbell with the Prefect on the way to Warner Beach, Natal

We went on holiday to the Natal coast in the car. Mrs McFadjean, my Standard One teacher, recommended the Warner Beach Hotel near Amanzantoti, some miles outside of Durban, so we travelled there for our first South African holiday. My father had never driven such a long distance before so we broke our journey at Andrew’s Motel on the way to the coast. Several years later we went to Margate on the South Coast. There were quite a few steep hills on this journey and the Prefect struggled to get to the top of these hills in first gear. Sometimes it was even necessary to reverse down the hill so that the car could get up enough impetus to climb to the top of it. Luckily there wasn’t as much traffic on the roads in the early fifties as there is today!

My parents were friends with a Welsh family by the name of Anthony, and they asked my father to collect their friends, the Webbs from the station, as they had recently arrived in the country from Ebbw Vale in South Wales. This was the first time I met the Webb children, Patricia and Pamela. Patricia was my age and Pamela a few years younger. When they came to visit us Patricia would find one of my new Enid Blyton books and instead of spending the afternoon playing with me, she would settle down to read my latest Famous Five or Secret Seven book from cover to cover instead. She became so absorbed in the story that she did not even hear my plaintive pleas that she should leave the book and play with her sister and me.

It was difficult to find a good piano teacher in Vanderbijl at the time, so my father asked another of his Welsh friends, Ron Hill to give me some lessons. He played the piano quite well but had no musical qualifications and I was the first person he had tried to teach. He arrived at our house after work at Iscor, was given a beer and settled down to put me through some Czerny studies and various other pieces, which were perhaps too advanced for me at the time. My father insisted that I spent three-quarters of an hour practising the piano and doing my homework each day before I was allowed out to play with my friends in the street. I resented this at the time, but I was glad that my father made me do this when I became interested in making music my career.

He had learnt to play the violin when he was a child in New York, but after his mother’s death he returned to Scotland to stay with his mother’s sister and family so there was no more money for lessons. He taught himself to play the piano by ear and, for some unknown reason, played everything in the key of D flat/C sharp, which meant that he played more on the black notes than the white notes. Most people who were taught to play found this key the most difficult of all. My mother could also play by ear, but she stuck to the white notes!

My father always asked me to play the piano whenever we had visitors. I don’t think they were particularly interested in listening to me playing the piano and I was always relieved when this ordeal was over and I could go back to playing with the children who were visiting.  Patricia and Pamela did not play the piano but they had pretty voices and always sang the little Welsh folk song, Sosban Fach as their party piece.

As we grew older we decided to hold a musical and dramatic entertainment in aid of the Vereeniging SPCA and charge all our parents’ friends for tickets to our concert. We were all animal lovers – I had a yellow budgie who sat on my shoulder, and the Webbs had an exuberant Rhodesian ridgeback called Patty. We performed in my parents’ sitting room for friends who were too soft-hearted to refuse to attend our entertainment, and we managed to raise the amount of 10/- from our captive audience. The money was duly sent as a donation to the SPCA in Vereeniging and we received a thank you letter, suggesting that we should all go and have tea at the SPCA the next time we were in Vereeniging. As far as I remember we didn’t take the gentleman up on his offer, but we felt quite proud of ourselves for making the donation.  An SPCA was established in Vanderbijlpark some time later, and German friends of my parents, the Alexanders, did a great deal to help the society raise funds of very much larger amounts than ours.

My father had signed a second three-year contract at Iscor which would come to an end in 1955. The Nationalist government was insisting that everyone working at Iscor should be fully bilingual. My father’s Afrikaans was pretty limited and what he could say in the language was said in a Scottish accent. There were rumours that the Hendrik Vanderbijl Primary School would soon change from parallel medium to Afrikaans medium. My parents decided to sell their house in Parsons Street and we moved into a rented flat at Becquerel Court, with the idea that we would return to the UK once my father’s contract came to an end.  The Oliver Lodge Primary School, which was English medium was closer to  Hendrik Vanderbijl, so I went to the Oliver Lodge for my final year at primary school, glad to escape the attentions of  unpleasant Mrs Verhoop forever.

Jean Collen

Updated 24 November 2015.

13 Comments (+add yours?)

  1. Rinskje Elbert
    Dec 10, 2011 @ 20:30:46

    Except for the names, this could be my life story. We came from the Netherlands, I went to school with Pamela Webb – so am a few years younger. I remember when the Hendrik v.d. Byl kids came to Oliver Lodge. I also remember some of the teachers. Mr. Webster was also my class teacher in std. 5, etc. etc. Loved the Student Prince, etc. Brings back a lot of memories. Thanks.

    Liked by 1 person


  2. Rinskje Elbert
    Dec 10, 2011 @ 20:57:55

    Nearly forgot – my dad also had a black Prefect which he later painted blue. He was also under contract, but with Vecor. We came over on the Bloemfontein Castle and also had the same journey train from Cape Town. We also sold all our furniture to return to the Netherlands after Sharpeville – but stayed nevertheless – and subseuently had to buy new furniture again.

    Liked by 1 person


    • jean2371
      Dec 10, 2011 @ 21:05:08

      Hello Rinskje, Thank you so much for your interesting comments. I wonder how many other children had the same experiences as you and me! I was thinking about Pamela today. She married Robin Carlisle, now DA Minister of Transport in the Cape, although I believe they divorced some years ago.
      All good wishes, Jean



  3. Marijke Lewis
    Apr 10, 2013 @ 16:33:01

    Hi Jean! This is amazing…I literally ‘stumbled’ across your site whilst looking for something else! I was also at Hendrik v d Bijl School and Oliver Lodge. ca. 1955 – 59. I had Mrs McFadgen as a Std1 teacher, too, and the really fierce ones, too. (I remember Mr Nel!) I remember the horrible sewing classes! Mrs V appointed another child to watch over me as I created my next disaster. We were a Dutch family living in SW5 – the van der Zeyde’s. I don’t know if you remember Ellen and Marijke and Wimmie v d Zeyde? Unfortunately, I am the only one who has survived from the whole family! I am aged 63 now and living in Wales. It’s been a long road! My father worked for Iscor and later Sasol and one of their first chemical engineers. Lots of good memories from our time in Vander Bijl and it looks like your life has been and fruitful and good, too! With warmest greetings, Marijke Lewis-v d Zeyde

    Liked by 1 person


    • jean2371
      Apr 10, 2013 @ 16:58:33

      Hi Markijke, Thanks so much for your interesting comment. I’m afraid I didn’t know you as I went to the Oliver Lodge in 1955 and we left Vanderbijlpark for Jo’burg towards the end of 1957. I’m glad I wasn’t the only person to find sewing classes with Mrs V rather an ordeal! It is amazing how so many children from the “park” are now living in different parts of the world today. I certainly remember the years I spent there as very happy ones – despite some glitches along the way. With all good wishes to you in Wales – a country I have always enjoyed visiting. Jean.



  4. Murray Hofmeyr Craib
    May 13, 2013 @ 02:40:26

    Hi, Noreen Waterston is my mom. I was looking up something involving the Waterston side of the family when I came across your blog. It will be fun telling her I found your blog & showing her the class photo with her in the front row, fourth from the right.

    Liked by 1 person


    • jean2371
      May 13, 2013 @ 15:08:42

      Thanks for the interesting information about your Mum being in the photo, Murray. It’s amazing to think that the class photo was taken fifty years ago when we were all in Standard Three!



  5. ms55
    Jul 26, 2015 @ 18:49:11

    Lovely articles. I have wortten a book on my time in SA. It’s in Italian. The title is “Il mio Sud Africa” (my South Africa).



    • jean2371
      Jul 26, 2015 @ 19:31:47

      Thank you for your kind comment, Maurizio. How interesting that you have written a book about your time in South Africa. If I could read Italian I would look out for it!



      • ms55
        Jul 14, 2017 @ 19:27:31

        Hi Jean, this is Maurizio again. We were in contact some time ago about your youth in Vanderbijlpark. I wanted to let you know that I have created a Facebook group called OLD “TRIANGLE” IMMIGRANTS and it’s about immigrants that lived in the Vaal Triangle in the 60′, 70’s and 80’s. It would be a prelivige to have you with us to share your experinces, photos and whatever about the vaal Triangle during that time or before. you can ask for friendship on that group or on my private FB page under the name maurizio d. signorile. Hope to hear from you very soon.

        Liked by 1 person

  6. Jack McGuicken
    Dec 02, 2015 @ 23:52:52

    Hi Jean
    I can relate to all your wonderful memories of our school days in Vanderbijlpark.
    I am Jack McGuicken one of the twins, I was your class and left to go Vaal High
    in 1956. I lived in Vanderbijlpark from February 1948 to February 2010, my wife Barbara and I now live in Northern Ireland.

    Liked by 1 person


    • jean2371
      Dec 03, 2015 @ 14:39:33

      Hello Jack, Thank you for your interesting comment. I remember you and your brother, Walter very well indeed. I don’t know whether you have read Margaret Nel’s article about the school which also appears on this blog. Her father, Mr A.S. Nel was our principal there. I was at the Vaal High from 1956 to the end of the third term in 1957 when we moved to Johannesburg. I hope all is well with you and your family.



    • Mike Dwyer
      Jul 12, 2017 @ 06:24:48

      Hey Jack

      Your dad Bob and my dad Paddy were best friends and drinking pals at Iscor Club. You’ll remember my brothers, Len and Pat and my sister Beth Dwyer. All good Catholics…………some maybe not so good. Len and Pat have past on, but my sister is the only remaining devout Catholic. I’m in Auckland NZ and Beth is moving to Oz in September.
      Love to visit Ireland one day to see where the Dwyer’s hailed from.
      If my memory serves me correctly you were not pugilist your older brothers were. They were legend.

      Mike (64)

      Liked by 1 person


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

Good Reads Book Reviews

The Moon And SixpenceThe Moon And Sixpence by W. Somerset Maugham
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Apparently Strickland was based on the artist Paul Gauguin, but if this was the case, there is a very loose connection between the two for this in not a novel a clef. The book held my interest while the narrator had personal contact with Strickland and his wife. Almost from the beginning of the novel, before Charles Strickland had appeared, I thought him a thoroughly reprehensible character.

Admittedly his wife was not an imaginative woman and used her established position in society to cultivate the society of writers and artists although she appeared to be devoid of any artistic talent herself. She obviously regarded her "dull" husband as nothing more than a meal-ticket and she had never encouraged his artistic inclinations. It is only after he leaves her to her own devices that she manages to pull herself together, fend for herself and look after her children without being dependent on a man any longer.

The portrait of a completely self-centred, inarticulate Strickland, who does not care about the opinion of others was well-drawn but after the narrator is no longer in personal contact with Strickland and the rest of the story of Strickland's life is related to him by a third person the story is less satisfactory. I have to admit that I did not finish the last fifty pages of the book. Although I like Maugham's work, this was not my favourite Maugham novel.

View all my reviews

Daily Motion Videos

Blogs I Follow


Writer, Editor, Proof-reader, Musician

Webster Booth-Anne Ziegler

The Lives and Careers of Webster Booth and Anne Ziegler, the famous British duettists.

Kenneth More Official

The authorised website of actor Kenneth More CBE. One of Britain’s most successful stars

'ear 'ear! by Gaynor Young

Random thoughts of a happy brain damaged ex actress… Me!


An American in Quirky Johannesburg

From Mage Mind

When a mage is sharing what's on his mind. Business, Motivation, Positive life, Success, Marketing and Good Ideas.

Just a Jozi Girl

I walk the streets camera in hand, to discover my city, suburb by suburb.


my creative adventure


handwork, writing, life, music, books

Semi-Partisan Politics

A semi-biased commentary on British and American politics, culture and current affairs

Music Hall Alice

All things Music Hall...

Glasgow Dog Training By Dog Behaviourist John McGuigan

Promoting non aversive dog training & puppy training classes

Post a Book

We post stories. You enjoy them.

Footlight Notes

Celebrities of popular entertainment, 1850s - 1920s


Just another site


Current & Breaking News | National & World Updates

Save our iMfolozi Wilderness

HELP SAVE the iMfolozi Wilderness Area by saying NO to the Fuleni Coal Mine and YES to keeping Wilderness Areas sacred.

%d bloggers like this: